The Medical Genetic group is a focus group functioning under the banner of the SASHG.
Its purpose is:
- to advance and promote the science and practice of Medical Genetics
- to bring together colleagues practicing in Medical Genetics
- to facilitate education and training in Medical Genetics
- to ensure high standards of training for professionals within Medical Genetics
- to provide a cohesive voice on matters of policy influencing Medical Genetics
- to advocate for appropriate resources for provision of service and care to patients with genetic disorders and birth defects
- to engage in constructive dialogue with government and other politicians on genetics-related issues
Membership is open to all registered clinical genetics in South Africa who are also members of SASHG.